Sunday, May 5, 2013

Lotsa pictures...Lotsa news...

Hi, Mom.

First, the news...

Travis has a new job managing a French restaurant in NYC.  He just finished his first week and is temporarily staying at a friend's apartment until he can get his stuff moved.  His girlfriend is very happy about all this and plans to join him when she finishes her internship in accounting and becomes certified.  I hope things settle for Travis for a while.

Ed is coming with me to Barrier Island again this year.  We leave on Wednesday morning and return on Friday afternoon. I'm not really sad that this will be my last time there.  After 19 years doing this trip, I think I can deal with the beach without a bunch of kids with me.  LOL

On Monday, I was honored at Byrnes High School by one of my former students.  He was among the top ten academic seniors graduating this year.  They each get to pick their most influential teacher and invite that teacher to a fancy dinner at the school. Then, the students get up and read an essay about their teachers.  James wrote the sweetest things about me, including how I inspired him in science so much that he took every science class he could get at the high school.  He's going to NC State in the fall to become an engineer, majoring in aerospace.  He wants to get involved in Space-X, a private company that has been sending up space ships in orbit.

Here's me with James...

I've decided to use the money you sent for my birthday to get a new smart phone.  Mine is OK, but I'm due to upgrade to a newer model.  I'm going to give my other one to Ed because his is troublesome. Actually, he's been using my other old one. Ha Ha.  Ed was quite happy to use the birthday money you sent him to fix the screen on  his Samsung Tablet.  I think he wrote to you about that.

My little school is so disorganized and chaotic now. Many teachers are grumping at each other.  Kris has been trying to finalize schedules for next year (the principal hasn't gotten to it yet so Kris did it) but the teachers are complaining.  Kris almost quit over the whole thing but, after a good night's sleep, just told all the teachers "Here's the schedule. YOU sort it out" and retreated back to her classroom. She does so much for our boss, she should get administrative assistant's pay.  Some of the teachers on the 3rd floor have been telling me about all these problems but, you know what?  I've just said, "Hey, I'm retiring. Remember?"  Sorry. :-)

I've been trying to upload some pix of San Antonio on here, but the blog won't let me.  I don't know why.

Here are some other pix I've been accumulating...

This is one of our little Ginkgo trees in the back yard..

Flowers I need to plant but haven't been able to because of the rain..

Poor, wet female cardinal on the feeder
 Above....new St. Paul the Apostle Catholic Church progressing.  It's HUGE!  The students have been watching it being built for months.

Below...Krista's 2nd graders received First Holy Communion yesterday.  She takes care of the kids at the school and the church takes care of the CCD classes who received.  Krista does a great job.  Her kids behaved so well and looked so serious.  The kids from the CCD classes were making noise and misbehaving.
 Krista looking quite happy....
 House Finch
 Chipmunk getting easy pickings under the birdfeeder..

 Beautiful Goldfinches.  Their colors are brilliant.




After I get back from Barrier Island, I have one solid week of classes. Final exams are the next week, then 8th grade graduation the next week and just "stuff."  I'm really ready to leave. No regrets.  I've been boxing up so much stuff, but also recycling, giving away, or throwing away the rest.  It's getting easier. :-)

Tired.

I love you, Mom.
XOXO




No comments:

Post a Comment