Sunday, August 5, 2012

Burning the candle at both ends...

Hi, Mom.

Guess what! I discovered that I've lost 3 lbs. since deciding to swim every day instead of every other day.  I guess exercise really does help.  The Olympics have been taking my time up in the evening and it's so frustrating. I want to watch, but I have to force myself to go to bed around 10 p.m. so I can get up at 4:15 a.m. to go swimming. However, some of the better, more interesting competitions are shown after 10 p.m., so I stay up to watch anyway.  Now that most of the swimming and gymnastics are over.....my two favorites.....maybe I can get better sleep.

However, tonight will be interesting.  Remember when Ed and I drove to Florida last November to watch a launch at Cape Kennedy?  Well, that was the launch of Mars Curiosity or MSL (Mars Science Lab).  Curiosity hopefully is going to land on Mars tonight at 10:30 p.m. Pacific Time, which means it will be 1:30 a.m. tomorrow morning here.  I just have to watch the live news feed of that from NASA.  Ed and I have been following its trip since last November.  The landing is extremely complicated with all kinds of things possibly going wrong.  I'm hoping there are no glitches.  So, I'll be up tonight, but I still want to go swimming in the morning.  I'm planning to take a nap in a few minutes so that I can do this. Sometimes we just do crazy things because we want to.  Life is good...

Here's a neat picture.  I took it Friday.  It's a Starbucks at our Ingles grocery store.  They actually opened a huge kiosk right at the entrance.  It's been open for a couple of weeks but Friday was the first time I was able to stop there.  I walked in and bought a White Chocolate Mocha, which has a gazillion calories, but I don't care.  I splurged!!  Ha Ha

By the way, I went to get my bone density test and mammogram on Friday.  I don't have the mammogram results back yet, but my doctor got immediate results of the bone density.  He said I have some osteoporosis in my spine and a little in my hips, but nothing serious enough to take meds for.  He did recommend Vitamin D and Calcium supplements, though, and to get exercise.  I told him about my swimming and he thought that was great.  I am now 5'1".  I used to be 5'2" when I was a teen.  I am the incredible shrinking woman!!  My doctor told me not to worry too much.  A lot of this is aging and he thought I was pretty healthy.  Yay!

On my last blog entry, I posted a lot of pictures.  I just realized that, once you click on one of the pictures and get the bigger picture, the rest of the pictures are down at the bottom of the screen and you can just click through them quickly.  I bet you already figured that out. :-)   I really, really love this Blogspot thing through Google.  It's so much easier and quicker.  That's probably why I'm writing them more frequently.  No hassles!

I was sorry to hear about Dick Smith today.  I can't picture him, but I know you've introduced him to me a couple of times when we visited Church of the Epiphany.  Nancy Stevens posted something about him on facebook this morning.  She never posts anything about someone passing away, so I know this was very important to her.  Was Dick ill before he passed away?

Tomorrow, I'm going over to St. Paul's to get a few things done in my classroom.  I will be missing one of the faculty work days on August 13th because we won't be back from Long Island yet, so I figured I could make up some time.  Kris has a meeting tomorrow with the people who created our school website.  Our principal wants Krista there because she (the principal) doesn't know much about stuff like that and counts on Krista to make her sound intelligent. LOLOL

OK.  I'm going to try to take a nap now.  Don't know how that's going to go. I have way too much on my mind.

I love you, Mom.
xoxoxo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It makes a difference with exercising more often I guess. Make sure you get enough protein. I have learned a lot about that. I read that if you do not get enough in 2 days your muscles start to deteriate. If you weigh 150 lbs. you need 50 grams a day so you probably need about 40. I am trying to get more because seniors do not want much meat as they age. I am buying protein bars for me. I found some good ones in the cereal isle. Maybe that is part of the reason as we age we get feeble.

I have lost 3 inches over the years. I am under 5 foot now. I am also getting precancerous lesions now like dad had. Got one burned off last week and need to make an appt. to get 2 sugically removed. One thing after another huh?
However i played 18 holes of golf last week with Tim at a really posh golf club. Never played there befroe. Not a public course. Had fun but so tired the next day. We have had soime really hot weather but we finally got some rain on Saturday night. Over 2 inches that we desperately needed. It was great today no almost 100's. Low 80's. Golf league tomorrow.They have told me at rehab to not go out when it gets over 90 so I have been staying in the house too much. Love you.
XO

Post a Comment